In 1995, the Lancer was renewed for its sixth-generation model based on the previous format. Apart from the Evo models' continuation, not to depart from the established formula Lancer. A sedan and wagon (Libero in Japan) were offered in conjunction with the model Mirage. The coupé continued as the Mirage Asti in Japan, known as the Lancer Coupé elsewhere. The Lancer 1995 (Model 1995-2002 in some countries) is more popularly known as the 1997 Lancer. A turbocharged GSR version continued to be sold until the end of the 1990s. This platform was also the basis for the Mirage, as it was known in North America and other markets.
From 1996-2004, replacing the Mitsubishi Carisma Mitsubishi Lancer in some markets.
It is noteworthy that the Lancer Evolution V is the only Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution to win the constructors championship for the WRC. However, driver Tommi Mäkinen could claim four WRC driver's championships for himself, in 1996-1999, driving Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III, IV, V and VI.
Model and trim levels:
Series I (96-98) and Series II (98-99)
* GLi - 2-door coupe and 4-door sedan. Powered by a 4 cylinder, 1.5 L engine (4G15 SOHC- 69 kW)
* GLXi - 2-door coupe and 4-door sedan. Powered by a 4 cylinder, 1.8 L engine (4G93 SOHC- 88 kW)
* MR - 2-door coupe. Powered by a 4 cylinder, 1.8L engine (4G93 SOHC - 86 kW)
* MR - 4-door coupe. Powered by a 4 cylinder, 1.6L MIVEC engine (4G92 DOHC - 130 kW)
* GSR - 4-door sedan. Powered by a turbocharged 1.8 L engine (4G93t DOHC - 141 kW)
* MXd - 4-door sedan. Powered by a Diesel Turbocharged 2.0L engine (4D68T SOHC - 65 kW)
Series III (99-03)
* GLi - 2-door coupe (1.5 L or 1.8 L) and 4-door sedan (4 cylinder, 1.8 L)
* GLXi - 2-door coupe and 4-door sedan. Powered by a 4 cylinder, 1.8 L engine
* MR - 2-door coupe. Powered by a 4 cylinder (6 cylinder, 99-00), 1.8 L engine
Series IV (02-04) coupe update only
* GLi - Choice of 1.5 L engine (discontinued in 2003) or 1.8 L engine, 4 Cylinder
* MR - Powered by a 1.8 L engine, producing 86 kW (115 hp) & 163 N·m (120 lb·ft) of torque (1500-4500 rpm) out of a 4 cylinder