In Europe, the Lancer EX is offered with a 2.0 L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine known as the Lancer EX 2000 Turbo. It was the first Lancer 4g63 use the first engine to be used as models of success for the Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 and the Lancer Evolution I-IX. Achieved a maximum output of 168 hp (125 kW) and manages a top speed of125 mph (201 kph) in less than 15.5 s. A new feature of this model is that it is equipped with advanced electronics or ECI controlled fuel injection gave the Lancer more power and exceptional fuel economy as it did 23.0 mpg in city driving and 28.8 on 37.2 mpg in highway driving. A rally version of the Lancer EX 2000 Turbo was done for the 1000 Lakes Rally, which was 280 hp (276 kW hp/206). Sales of this model were low because of emission regulations imposed by Japan at that time.
In Philippines, the Lancer EX (which is popularly known as the Box Type Lancer) was offered with three variants. These variants are the SL, GSR, and GT. All engines were equipped with technology silent shaft (SL had 1.4 L MCA-JET engine) and soon after, automatically available for SL and GSR variants. Arrested in 1987 sales and would be replaced by the fourth generation Lancer.
Model and trim levels
* SL - Model Base. 4-door sedan powered by a 1.4L engine with a 4-speed manual transmission, and subsequently filed with the 1.2 L engine (4G11) together with 3-speed automatic transmission
* GSR - Midrange Model. 4-door sedan powered by a 1.6L engine with 5-speed manual transmission. 3-speed automatic transmission with a 1.8L engine option (4G62 - carb ver.) Are presented below.
* GT - Limited Edition version with the Lancer EX Turbo Bodykit, 14 "alloy wheels, and the same 1.6L engine.
The Lancer EX (the name was used Lancer, and not including Japan) is sold throughout the region and the Asia Pacific (Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Australia, New Zealand). Are also sold in South America.
* Turbocharged SOHC ECI 1997 cc (2.0L) I4, 170 hp
* ECI 1795 cc SOHC turbo (1.8L) I4, 160 hp
* ECI turbocharger (not Intercooler) 1795 cc I4 SOHC, 135 hp
Carbohydrates * 1795 cc SOHC I4, 100 hp
* Carb SOHC 1597 cc (1.6L) I4, 85 hp
* Carbohydrates "MCA-JET" SOHC 1410 cc (1.4L) I4, 80 hp
* Carb SOHC 1244 cc (1.2L) I4, 70 hp