In 1979, the Lancer EX was introduced in Japan. Two engines are offered only at the time, a 1.4 L MCA-JET engine equipped with Mitsubishi's Silent shaft Technology, which produces 80 hp (60 kW) and a 1.6 L engine that produces 85 hp (63 kW) and 100 hp (75 kW). MCA-JET is a new system using the carburetor. The MCA represents Mitsubishi Clean Air, which meant that Japan is now the EX-US emission standards, while the new design of the engine cylinder head gave way to a third or Jet valve that introduces a swirl of air in the combustion chamber of the swirling fuel-air mixture to a clean, efficient and comprehensive recording. Another advance in the new Lancer is the silent shaft technology is actually two counter rotating shafts in opposite directions, canceling the power pulses a normal 4-cylinder engine would be inherent in that time, reducing noise and vibration engine provides a smoother ride. The 1.8 L engine Sirius 80 was introduced in the Lancer in 1980, along with a new 70 hp (52 kW) 1.2 L engine a year later to offer a wider range of engines for the Lancer. Likewise, a turbocharged, 135 hp (133 kW hp/99) engine was added in 1980 for a sports performance and an exchange system to integrate into the existing engine turbocharged to produce 165 hp (163 kW hp/121) in 1983.
Lancer EX Turbo and GT 1800GSR
In 1980, the Lancer EX was introduced with a 1.8 L turbocharged 4-cylinder option known as the 1800GSR and GT Turbo. The first generation 1800GSR GT only came out with a turbo, no intercooler 135 hp (133 kW hp/99). And in 1983, an exchange was made, it is to reach 160 hp (158 kW hp/118) ..
Japan Model and trim levels
* 1400SL - 4-door sedan powered by a 1.4L engine with 4-speed manual transmission. 5-speed was also introduced. (1979-1987) 1200SL
* - Like the SL, with a choice of 1.2L engine. (1979-1983)
* 1400GL - 3-speed automatic version of the SL (1979-1983) 1400SL
* A / T - Like the GL, with minor changes. (1983-1987)
* 1600XL - 4-door sedan powered by a 1.6L engine with a 3-speed automatic transmission. (1979-1983)
* Super 1600XL - Like the XL, with minor changes. (1983-1987)
* 1800SE - 4-door sedan powered by a 1.8L engine producing 100 hp and is available with a 5-speed manual transmission or a 3-speed automatic transmission. (1981-1983)
* 1800GSR Turbo - 4-door sedan powered by a 1.8L turbo engine producing 135 hp, with aesthetic improvements. (1981-1983) 1800GT Turbo
* - Same as the GSR, but with a different body of court. (1981-1983)
* 1800GSR Intercooler Turbo - Intercooler first version of the turbo version, which produces 160 hp and with minor changes to the aesthetics. (1983-1987)
* Intercooler 1800GT Turbo - Same as GSR turbo intercooler, again with another cut. (1983-1987)
* 1800GSL Turbo - Same as GSR turbo intercooler, which uses the engine of the GSR / GT Turbo, equipped with a 3-speed automatic transmission and a more luxurious interior. Along with an AM / FM multi-cassette stereo. (1983-1987)